Welcome

Welcome

Saturday, 14 November 2015

Heartbreak

I'm currently staring at my computer screen and trying to formulate words to express the pain and anguish I feel for my fellow humankind after the atrocities of last night. Conversations I've had on the topic have consisted mostly of "I just don't understand"s and and strong feelings of fear.

My housemate came back from a night out last night having not heard the news, came into my room, and I was sat, much as I am now, staring at the BBC article that broke the story in dumb silence. That night turned quickly to somberness, both simply grateful to be alive.

Hate is not the answer.

Love and acceptance is.

The point of this blog is a plea. 

It's a plea to all to not react with vengeance against an innocent Muslim community for acts that they have had nothing to do with. It's a plea to act inclusively, to foster community links and draw close together, now, in these awful times.

It's a call to war also. The war I'm talking about is not a war in Syria. It's not a war in Iraq. It's not a war in Afghanistan. It's a war with ourselves. Every time I stand silent when I hear a group preaching racist hate, I am losing that war. Every time I don't engage in dialogue those who view Muslims as blameworthy for attacks such as the ones last night, I am losing that war. And it's not a war we can afford to lose for much longer. 

Hate is not the answer.

Love and acceptance is. 

"Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” - Martin Luther King Jr

No comments:

Post a Comment